News headlines often report about school bus accidents. Reasons are the school bus not following the permissible speed limits, interior infrastructure not up to safety standards, etc. Thanks to CBSE releasing guidelines for transportation facilities at schools!
According to CBSE guidelines concerning school bus,
· Exterior should be painted in uniform color, preferably yellow.
· Name of school should be displayed on both sides of the bus.
· ‘School Bus’ must be written on both the front and back of the bus.
· Space for school bags of the kids should be created under the seats.
· If school bus is hired, ‘On School Duty’ should be displayed.
· Telephone number of school and contact person should be prominently displayed in the exteriors.
· Windows of the school bus should be fitted mesh wire and horizontal grills to prevent accidents.
· Doors should be fitted with reliable locks.
· Speed control devices should be installed; speed should not exceed 40 Kmph.
· Fire extinguishers should be installed to prevent fire accidents.
· Qualified attendant should administer the school kids and bus on the move.
· First aid boxes should always be kept.
Integrated with smart schooling technology, i.e. use of RFID and GPS, a safer transportation can be ensured.